What is the Toolbox for Resilience?
The idea behind having a Toolbox for Resilience is to structure the content of the Children and Youth Forum around 6 key areas that have been recognized as integral components in DRR. The tools are explained in more detail in the table below.
While sharing with your fellow participants and absorbing state-of -the-art information from key experts and leaders you will think about how to apply each tool in your own environment. This process will continue all week, complemented by a dedicated afternoon session to detail your ideas, proposed actions and commitments with your fellow participants and key experts for fine tuning. These Action Plans and/or Youth Commitments can be applied at a global or local level for example by implementing projects, advocating at policy level, conducting research etc.
After finishing this inspiring program participants will continue sharing and exploring the journey as global and local resilience leaders by staying connected with @YouthAreReady through online platforms and regional forums.
Sat, Mar 14
T1: Policy and Governance
- Get up to speed on the Post 2015 development agenda in particular the Post 2015 Framework for DRR;
- The importance of ensuring risk based decision making; and
- Understanding how to create partnerships for change and build consensus.
TOOL TWO (16:00-18:00)
T2: Understanding Risk
- Understand the different components and complexities of risk for an all hazard approach; and
- Visit a disaster affected area and learn how to understand risk in this area in a participatory manner.
Sun, Mar 15
T3: Enhancing Preparedness
- Learn about integrated DRR measures for enhancing preparedness;
- Multi-sectoral preparedness options we need to target the whole society and reduce risk;
- The importance of early warning systems that enable early action; and
- Get acquainted with the latest open source technology for enhancing preparedness e.g. web portals, apps.
TOOL FOUR (11:00-13:00)
T4: Investing in Resilience
- Private sector engagement in DRR, who pays for risk reduction?; and
- How do we drive investments towards sustainable development?
Mon, Mar 16
T5. Communication and Awareness
- Get advice on how to communicate your message to ensure it is heard;
- Be actively engaged in social media throughout the forum;
- Share best practices on risk communication methods; and
- The power of public awareness for building resilience.
TOOL SIX (11:00-13:00)
T6: Resilient Response and Recovery
- How do we ensure society recovers in a way that allows us to bounce back in the face of another disaster?